Strawberry shortcake is a classic dessert, and for good reason. Prepared with fresh, tart strawberries, heavenly whipped cream, and soft buttermilk biscuits, there’s no reason not to love this dish. Check out the recipe for homemade Strawberry Shortcake with Buttermilk Biscuits below.
For the biscuits:
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
• 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
• 1 tablespoon chilled buttermilk
For the strawberry filling:
• 2 lbs. baskets strawberries (about 7 cups hulled and halved, or quartered, if very large)
• 1⁄2 cup sugar
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 tablespoons raspberry preserves
• 1 cup chilled whipping cream
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. To begin the biscuits, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Add the butter, rubbing with your fingers until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
2. Gradually add the buttermilk, tossing with a fork until large moist clumps form.
3. Shape dough into four 3-inch rounds. Transfer them to a baking sheet, spacing evenly.
4. Bake the biscuits until fully cooked (about 20 minutes). Transfer the biscuits to a rack and cool.
5. To create the filling, combine the strawberries, 1/2 cup sugar, and raspberry preserves in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Let stand for about one hour until a syrup forms, tossing occasionally.
6. For the whipped cream, beat the chilled whipping cream, vanilla extract, and remaining 3 tbsp of sugar in another large bowl until stiff peaks form.
7. To assemble, cut the buttermilk biscuits in half. Place each biscuit bottom in a shallow bowl. Top each generously with strawberries and whipped cream. Cover the fruit and cream with the biscuit tops. Dust the biscuits with powdered sugar and serve.
On the hunt for a new favorite recipe to add to your list of staples? The team at Haven at Main Apartments in Houston, Texas encourages you to try your hand at this delicious option.